Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Foundation Building at Kiggins House Today

Mr. Wood told me on Monday that they would be working on the foundation cement today at 10:00 AM so I headed over there shortly after 9:30 and arrived to see the men still working on final touches of the boards that will form the cement walls for the basement.





By time as I walked around the house, the special truck with its "arm" arrived and I watched it unfurl. I had never seen anything like that in my lifetime.

When the cement mixer brought the wet cement, it was transferred to this contraption.




The first truck with the moveable arm got into place manipulated by a computer I bet. . .












A man held it like a hose pouring out wet cement. He has to be very agile, the way he was jumping from one place to another. It was kinda neat how they stopped the flow of wet cement with this white band holding the "hose" in a bent up position so nothing could run through it until he could get in position again. I watched him go around two sides of the Kiggins house, filling the wooden forms with cement and watching the arm from that special vehicle reach over the roof and down the edges. I was fascinated!





Then, Mrs Wood came over and started talking to me about the re-model and she invited me to see her present home which her husband had also remodeled. (I have now had the pleasure of meeting both Mr. and Mrs. Wood!)

I thought I had died and gone to heaven again! She was a most gracious tour guide, explaining which parts of the house were original and what they added and how they furnished it. It is a beautiful place and I can't believe they are going to sell it but I guess maybe I would too if I could also live in the former Kiggins historical home!

She also showed me photos of other restorations her husband had accomplished and I remembered where only one was located. I decided to go over to 20th and I street and have a look. If that was the correct place, I found a smaller home that looked beautiful from the outside. I am going to put its photo here also. If I have the wrong house, I will correct it.


I am going to have to write down the rest of the places Mr. Wood has remodeled and go on a special walk to see them all!

No comments: